Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July's Big Five

Image Credit: Sean McGrath
Hi there! Remember how I asked you last month about what to call this column? Well, there were four options… and you suggested three different ones, so after debating for a while, I finally settled on this one. But thank you for your suggestions – they did end up taking out that one option no one liked, aha.

I feel like this month is the month when my summer’s going to start. Because school ended for me about mid-to-late June and I was away on a trip until recently, it didn’t properly feel like summer until now. Besides, I’ve always associated July and August with summer, but I know that in the States and basically everywhere else, things are a bit different.

As the title suggests, I have for you five big things for you and I both to get excited for this month. So let’s get into it!


1. Summer School starting on the 3rd


I’ve heard that I’m not the only one doing summer school here in the blogosphere and I’m certainly not the only one out of my friends doing it, something that actually makes me kind of happy knowing that I’m not in this alone.

Unlike a lot of people, I’m actually incredibly excited about this and it’s something that I’m personally really excited about, but I figured that I might as well mention it in this post. I find that when I read about or see people get really excited for something, especially a school subject or something like that, their enthusiasm is contagious and I find myself getting a bit more excited.

So if you’re not already pumped for the next three weeks (or however long you’re in summer school for), get pumped because yes, you could be doing better things with that time, but it’s going to worth it in the end, okay? Okay.

But honestly, if the thought of doing summer school just doesn’t sit well with you, you could totally flip this one exciting thing and change it to “Summer School is over on the ___.” That could work just as well.

2. Independence Day on the 4th

Image Credit: Colin Henderson
America’s Independence Day is a huge deal and many of its festivities reach its neighbouring countries. Yes, I’m counting the crazy sales as a festivity. Usually, it’s either that other countries also have similar sales, or you can take advantage of those sales online or if you drive over there. My point is the days around the Fourth of July have really good sales and if you’d like to do some shopping for discounted spring/summer clothes, now is a good time to do it.

If you are American, I have a few red, white, and blue outfit ideas for your fun-filled day here if you're in need of some.

Despite how I’m not an American, I don’t get to see fireworks or some of my favourite American artists (which is the majority of my favourite artists, not going to lie) perform that often, so if you share those interests, look up the TV specials. They’re actually pretty great.

And besides, Canada Day was on the 1st, so I couldn't quite be patriotic and have included that, now could I?

3. “Begin Again” on the 11th

I know that if you’re in the States or Germany, this movie was released either a bit earlier this month or at the beginning of May, but I’ve been seeing the trailer on YouTube quite a bit and it looks like a really sweet rom-com that you can watch one night with your girlfriends. Plus, Hailee Steinfeld’s in it, so why not go see it, right?

I do realise that it says that it’s rated R in the States, but in Canada, most of the movie ratings are lowered down a notch or two (don’t even ask me why), so it’ll most likely be 14A, meaning that I’d be able to watch it just fine.

Anyway, here’s the trailer if you haven’t seen it already and want to get a better idea of what it’s about:


4. A big, big haul coming up on SG on the 14th

Maybe you’re not as excited about this as I am, but I’m pretty stoked to show you guys what I found on my trip to NYC/Atlantic City. We barely even shopped in New York because we were so busy doing everything in the three days that we were in the city, so most of what I got will have been from Atlantic City.

If you’re more interested in what I actually did on the trip, that post will be up on the 4th (Friday) packed with tons of photos and text explaining everything. Basically, it’s going to be a long post.

5. Camp NaNoWriMo throughout the month, but ending on the 31st



I talked about this in my Sunday Funday and I thought that maybe some of you might be participating in this event where you basically have to write a set amount of words, typically 50 000 in a month whether it's a novel, a short story, poems, or whatever that may be. I'm pretty excited about this and I'm hoping that I'll be able to complete this pretty big goal considering all the other things I have to do this month.

What are you excited for this month? Have any of the things on this list made it on to yours? Leave your comments below!



Thank you so much for reading!
- J


No comments:

Post a Comment