Thursday, October 3, 2013

What Happens When Fashion Meets Art?


Image Credit (left, right)

If you’ve been following this blog since it was called Coco and Picasso, then you would probably know that art was one of my first loves, as was fashion. There’s that constant debate as to whether fashion is art. So why don't we talk about it a bit, eh? Or rather, why don't we talk about what happens when fashion meets art, shall we?

Fashion and art have mutually influenced each other for years, there's no question about that. I've always loved both art and fashion, but I've never really played with the idea that the two are one, or the two can come together, even. Last year, I wrote a speech about how fashion was an art, and while I was doing my research, I read a lot of articles from people, like important people in the fashion business who really thought that they were two very separate things, which shocked me, to be honest.


That beautiful red carpet dress, that top you've been lusting for for months, those ridiculously comfortable jeans you couldn't live without, all those started with an idea. That idea was then sketched on paper and then made into a 3D and wearable object. So in reality, isn't that art? 



With the latest Chanel show, Karl Lagerfeld brought the two worlds together. Everything from the art gallery theme to the watercolour swatch dresses screamed art. I mean, as an art and fashion fanatic, it was pretty epic, just sayin'. 



With this show, Mr. Lagerfeld (because I like being all formal and I feel really disrespectful calling him Karl. I mean, what teenager would call a legend by his first name like he was just an old friend? Not me.) proposed a truce to both sides of the undying argument. Or maybe I'm overthinking a simply amazing fashion show. You decide.

So what happens when fashion meets art? They create something absolutely magical. They make the most beautiful clothes, the most beautiful art. They shape our world more than anyone is willing to admit, especially those who constantly pester me about how fashion is "stupid," "artificial," or "silly." Fashion wouldn't be very far without art and art wouldn't be what it is without the influence of fashion. Whether they like it or not, the two make each other better, and as an enormous fan of both, I couldn't be happier.

So basically, you two should get together more often. You know, just maybe.

Please share what you think down below! I really want to read what you have to say on this incredibly controversial matter. I really love writing these posts, so let me know what you think!


Thank you ever so much for reading!
- J

No comments:

Post a Comment