Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ramble: Go Chase Your Dreams

Tumblr_mgwt5kffi31qg4939o1_500_large


Hi there!  This is going to be a little different from my regular posts, but I hope that you'll enjoy it anyway.

It was about this time last year when I sent my friend - who was vacationing across the pond at the time - a direct message on Twitter, saying that we needed to talk.  All that year, we spoke non-stop about our plans to apply to a high school that offered a certain program and how we'd both try to get in and spend our high school years together.  That school that wanted to get in so desperately was very academically rigorous, which was a challenge that I was really excited to tackle, but there was this other school that offered this amazing arts program, which is another thing that I really love.

I've always thought that I'd become a doctor or something when I got older, specifically a neurologist or a neurosurgeon because I found all that stuff really cool.  But after spending a summer alone (all of my friends were on vacation somewhere), I got to know myself a lot better.  That might've sounded a bit weird, but it's true -  I got a lot of self-discovery done.

The biggest thing that I discovered was my love for fashion.  I've always loved fashion ever since I was a little girl, but it has been ingrained in my brain that artists and any career related to the arts were doomed from the start, except for the few exceptionally lucky people out there.  So I never thought twice about a career in that field.  But over the summer, it was an interest, an intense passion (yes, I do realise how lame this sounds, but whatever) for fashion and how much I did indeed want to make a living in that field.  

Basically, I wanted to become a fashion designer.  I discovered this magical college called FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in NYC and it became my dream school.  Once again, I've always loved designing clothes.  Like legit, in class, even in third grade (or around that time) I would doodle dresses on scrap paper whenever my teacher bored me.  It's definitely not something that I just decided one day that I was obsessed with - I've loved this and have been drawing and sketching ever since I was little.

You're probably reading this thinking that I'm some stupid little girl from a small town with big and unrealistic dreams,  and you might be right.  But like the quote in the photo above said, "If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."  I completely agree with this quote and it's actually set as my phone and laptop wallpaper, just to remind me every single day to work hard and never give up on my dreams.

Back to the whole Twitter thing, since we've been planning to go to that school together for months, I immediately felt incredibly guilty when I just didn't want to go anymore.  I felt the need to tell her about it first.  We ended up talking about it and I was so glad that she wasn't too mad at me, or at least she didn't show it.

My dreams are pretty huge and are probably unrealistic to some of you, hell, it's quite unrealistic to me.  But I think the big thing now is to turn those dreams into goals.  Hopefully, that whole process will start to happen during my high school years.  Which reminds me, it's my first day of high school in a little over three weeks.  It's crazy.

A lot of people have told me that it's such an unrealistic dream and they don't really support me when it comes to it, but is it so wrong for me to be so determined that I ignore what they think of it?  I definitely value their opinions, but I'm so determined to work hard to hopefully make this big dream of mine a reality.

This is a pretty personal question, but are there any dreams that you have that might seem unrealistic?  What are your life goals?  Leave me a comment down below - I'd love to find out what you guys are interested in.


Thank you so much for reading!
- J

No comments:

Post a Comment