Sunday, August 4, 2013

Current Love: Lomography

Lomography | via Facebook


Hi there!  Today's post won't be about fashion, but it was something I really wanted to talk about at least once in depth on my blog.  I really hope you guys don't mind, so here it is!

I first heard the word "lomography" back in the fall of 2011 when I watched one of EllesGlitterGossip's Vintage Glitz videos.  Unfortunately, she stopped that series, but she was the one who introduced me to lomography.

Definitions of "lomography" vary slightly, but in short, it's a nontraditional way of taking photos with a film camera, throwing any photography "rules" out the door.  Lomography cameras include the Holga, Diana+ and F+, the Supersamplers, and many more.

sunset in california | via Facebook


You may or may not know this about me, but I'm a perfectionist in almost all the areas of my life.  I'm not one of those perfectionists who shy away from doing things because I think I'm going to fail.  I do it anyway and try to do it to the best of my abilities.  Anywho, what I love about lomography is how artistic the photos look and how it doesn't have to be perfect.

After watching that video, I wanted a Diana F+ so badly.  The Diana was popular back in the 60's for it's plastic body and kind of faulty lens that allowed light to leak through and truly make the photo a work of art. Of course, it can very easily fail and look terrible, but I was, and still am, so fascinated by that idea.  I begged my parents relentlessly to let me get one, but I was never allowed because my dad thought it was a crap camera and didn't allow me to get it for myself.

(1) Isabella Éclairés


But one wonderful snowy morning, my amazing friends (whom I miss dearly) surprised me with an amazing Diana F+ Mr. Pink.  It was a beautiful, bright hot pink colour which I simply went crazy for because pink is my favourite colour.



When I finally got around to buying some film, I took the camera outside and started taking pictures.  It was really exciting for me because I've never really used a film camera before and it was definitely a foreign feeling not being able to see the photos right after I took the photo.  The way I see it is that it's going to be like opening a Christmas gift every single time I get my negatives developed.

I haven't really touched my Diana since spring, but since I'm currently on vacation, I wanted to capture those memories on film, so I brought my camera along.  That definitely revived my love for lomography and my Diana.  As soon as I get the film developed and once I get back, I'll definitely share with all of you the photos.



Anyway, I'm sorry that I kind of went off on a tangent, but I hope that you enjoyed this post and the beautiful lomography scattered throughout anyway!

Are you a fan of lomography?  What do you think of film photography, a blast from the past or lame?  Have you had experience with lomography?  Please leave me a comment down below sharing your thoughts!


Thank you for reading!
- J

2 comments:

  1. do you know where your friend got you that camera? btw i love your account

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, by the way! It means a lot to me. :) And my friends got it from shop.lomography.com, but if you want the exact one, you can get it through this link: http://shop.lomography.com/ca/cameras/diana-f-family/diana-f-mr-pink

      Thanks for stopping by!

      - Juliana

      Delete