Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's Day Card Tutorial



 
Today, I'm going to be doing something a little different.  If you read my Mother's Day Gift Guide, you'll know that one of my gift suggestions was making your mom or loved one a card.  To me, a handmade card is such a personal and thoughtful gift, so today, I'm going to show you how I made the one I'm giving my mom (pictured above) from the May 2011 copy of CardMaker magazine, designed by Elizabeth Allan.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
 
  •  Cardstock - I used the standard 8.5 x 11 in. cardstock sheets from Michael's in pink, green, and white.  You can use any colour combination you'd like, but I suggest that you at least keep the white cardstock.
  • A paper cutter - I "invested" in a paper cutter a while back when my cardmaking hobby started, but if you don't have one, you could use a ruler, pencil, and scissors.
  • A black fineliner - If you don't have one, use a black pen.
  • Coloured pencils
  • A glue stick
  • A pencil
 
Cut the cardstock that you've chosen (take a look at the photo up top if you're not sure which colour to pick) in half.  The "in half" part only applies if you are using the 8.5 x 11 sheets.  Basically, you have to cut the cardstock so that the dimensions are 4.25 x 5.5 inches.
 
 
Now, score - which means marking the line to fold the cardstock - the paper in the middle at the 2.75 inch mark.
 
 
Now fold the cardstock!
 

 
Cut the the second piece of cardstock (in the other colour) so that it has the dimensions 5 x 3.75 inches.
 
 
Glue that piece of cardstock on the card that you just made like so.
 
 
Cut two white piece of cardstock to 4 15/16 x 3 11/16 inches.  If I somehow wrote the mesurements in the wrong way, lay off me, I'm Canadian, not American.  We don't use inches.
 
 
Next, take one of the pieces of white cardstock and either draw or trace the picture above.  If you decide to trace it, you can either print it out or simply put your carstock against your computer screen.  You also have the option of stamping it on if you buy the stamp here.
 
 
Because I was at a ridiculously awkward angle trying to trace the picture on my window, the lines were really shaky, so fix up those lines if your lines are shaky as well.
 
 
Now colour in your picture!
 
 
Outline everthing in black with your fineliner!  (Turns out that I didn't take a photo of it outlined in black, but you know what I mean.)
 
 
Take the second piece of white cardstock and glue it on the inside of the card.  This is where you'll write your nice message to your mom.
 
 
You're all done!
 
 For the envelope, you could make your own with this tutorial here, or you could buy one at Hallmark or your local art store.
 
 
I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial and that it helped you out somehow.  Let me know in the comment if you're going to try this card out for Mother's Day.
 
- J
 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment